Some background information about the context of euthanasia in Belgium is presented, and Belgian law on euthanasia and concerns about the law are discussed. Suggestions as to how to improve the Belgian law and practice of euthanasia are made, and Belgian legislators and medical establishment are urged to reflect and ponder so as to prevent potential abuse.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.
Competing interests: None.
Provenance and Peer review: Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
↵i The difference between the figures can be explained by the fact that the latter figure, 3.8%, relates only to general practitioners.
↵ii Mortier said that several opinion polls indicated that 85% to 93% of the public supported the enactment of euthanasia law (personal communication; interview, 14 February 2005).
↵iii The bill was on the website of the Belgian senate (http://www.senate.be/home/legislation under the number 2–244/23) but is no longer available.
↵iv See also JAMA, vol 290, no 18, 12 November 2003, devoted to pain and pain management.
Read the full text or download the PDF:
Other content recommended for you
- First do no harm: intentionally shortening lives of patients without their explicit request in Belgium
- Facing requests for euthanasia: a clinical practice guideline
- Reporting of euthanasia in medical practice in Flanders, Belgium: cross sectional analysis of reported and unreported cases
- Labelling of end-of-life decisions by physicians
- Are general practitioners prepared to end life on request in a country where euthanasia is legalised?
- Euthanasia embedded in palliative care. Responses to essentialistic criticisms of the Belgian model of integral end-of-life care
- Spanish regulation of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide
- Euthanasia and other end of life decisions and care provided in final three months of life: nationwide retrospective study in Belgium
- Nurses’ views on their involvement in euthanasia: a qualitative study in Flanders (Belgium)
- French hospital nurses’ opinion about euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide: a national phone survey