Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.
After two weeks in La Barca, a small dirt-lined Mexican town known for its delicious tacos and endemic salmonellosis, it seemed I was serving a prison sentence rather than my sixth-semester surgery rotation. It was almost 11:00 on another insufferably humid day and I was in the operating room. I struggled to maintain my steady contorted position as I held the patient’s abdominal cavity open with surgical retractors for the chief surgeon and the resident. I had been plagued with a wonderful bout of gastroenteritis since my arrival in La Barca, so my knees buckled and my attention peaked with every wave of abdominal false alarms. My peripheral vision had been obliterated thanks to the …
Competing interests: None declared.
Read the full text or download the PDF:
Other content recommended for you
- National improvements in resident physician-reported patient safety after limiting first-year resident physicians’ extended duration work shifts: a pooled analysis of prospective cohort studies
- Physician unionisation in the USA: ethical and empirical considerations and the free-rider problem
- Telemedicine, the current COVID-19 pandemic and the future: a narrative review and perspectives moving forward in the USA
- Determining levels of physical activity in attending physicians, resident and fellow physicians and medical students in the USA
- Haemorrhagic cholecystitis in a newly anticoagulated patient
- Patient satisfaction with occupational health physicians, development of a questionnaire
- Improving population health in resident clinics: increasing pneumonia vaccination rates in adults 65 years and older
- Agreement in diagnosing occupational asthma by occupational and respiratory physicians who report to surveillance schemes for work-related ill-health
- Paediatricians’ attitudes and beliefs towards transgender people: a cross-sectional survey in Israel
- Guidelines on the use of liver biopsy in clinical practice